Saturday, April 4, 2009

Totally Optional Prompt: Meditation on a Letter

I love letters.

They turn into words.

And words string together into poems.

Choose one letter this week and examine it, smell it, listen to it, hold it in the palm of your brain and feel it. Then write a poem about it.

There is a prose poem called "Meditation on the Letter L" that I share with my students. I can't, for the life of me, remember the author nor can I find it on the internet. I'll check it out when I go to school on Monday and, hopefully, add a link then.

In the mean time, what letter grabs your fancy?

Mr. Linky will be back on Wednesday evening around 7 pm EDT for you to leave your links to poems about a letter or anything else.

P.S. That poem is called "Meditation in L" and is by Diane Comer. I still can't find a copy of it but here are a few lines:

"L is for letter. Not the first nor the last letter, but first to come to mind, first at hand, and when signed to the deaf it is itself, L, elle, she."

"The L can be lightweight and fickle, mere filigree, and yet many large and impossible words begin with L--life, love, law, liberty, loyalty, loneliness, longing."

"...of course, L is feminine, for all the masculine appearance of the capital L, all erection and purpose, the cursive L tells the truth. Listen, the loops and flourish seem to say, listen, lean a little closer. The words begin to lick the lobes of our ear, and language, the great seducer, begins to lull us."

1 comments:

ladygarfield said...

I am not sure if this qualifies:
http://ladygarfield.blogspot.com/2009/04/me-mentality.html
Do let me know. thanks.